lubrication and rolling element bearing
In the lubricating film having point or line contact, a contact area is extremely small and very high pressure is generated, which causes an amount of elastic deformation of bearing surfaces. Like these case, a lubrication regime in which an amount of elastic deformation whose effects can not be ignored is generated in the contact area is called as Elasto-Hydrodynamic Lubrication(EHL). Especially, the lubrication state, in which the deformation of bearing surfaces is easily occurred without very high pressure like rubber, is called as soft EHL. The EHL is frequently observed in rolling element bearings(ball or roller bearing). This is because ball or roller and its cage in rolling element bearings constitute a point or line contact.
Research until recent
- Study on performance analysis or connecting rod bearing
- Friction torque properties of high speed angular contact ball bearing
- Numerical analysis of grease thermal elastohydrodynamic lubrication problem using Hershel-Bulkey model
- Numerical analysis of 3-dimensional elastohydrodynamic lubrication problem
- Study on temperature distribution and film thickness in the point contact EHL condition having high rolling/sliding ratio
- Thermoelastohydrodynamic lubrication of piston ring
- Thermoelastohydrodynamic lubrication of connecting rod bearing
- Numerical analysis of elastohydrodynamic lubrication problem for connecting rod bearing
- Study on crawning of taper roller bearing
In our laboratory, we have carried out a lot of numerical analyses and experiments about EHL and have accumulated the design techniques of EHL machine elements based on the theoretical and experimental results, attracting a lot of attention from the foreign developed countries.
back to research area
Copyright (c) 2002, Precision Machine Elements and Tribolology Laboratory.
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any problems related to the web-pages and any queries on the Lab. Activities.