An air bearing is a type of bearings that uses air as lubricant, instead of liquid. This bearing is very frequently used in high precision rotating machines because it enables high speed and high precision rotation and is free from contamination caused by lubricants. Additionally, it consumes low power due to low viscous friction coefficient of air, so its application area will be greatly increased in the future. Air bearings can be divided into two groups, hydrostatic bearings and hydrodynamic bearings. In hydrostatic bearings, pressurized air is supplied into a lubricating gap from external suppliers. On the other hand, in hydrodynamic bearings, pressure is generated according to the shape of bearing surface, mainly due to the wedge effect.
Our tribology laboratory has performed a lot of theoretical and experimental studies to identify the characteristics of air bearings and enhance the performances of air bearing by means of developing various numerical analysis tools and constructing many kinds of experimental devices of air bearings. For example,
¢º Study on gas foli bearing for micro gas turbine
¢º Study on self-acting air-lubricated groove bearing having interconnected boundary
Research until recent
- Stability improvement in slot restrictor air journal bearing using non uniform slot
-Performance analysis of slot restrictor air journal bearing and development of experimental apparatus
- Effect of machining and assembling error on the performance of externally pressurized air bearing
- Study on inlet pressure built up at the entrance of air bearing
- Numerical analysis of air-lubricated spherical bearing
- Active control of externally pressurized air bearing by using PID control and phase control
- Numerical analysis of stability and running accuracy of externally pressurized air bearing
- Active control and shape modification of air-lubricated bearing
- Self-acting air-lubricated grooved bearing for HDD spindle
- Numerical analysis of air bearing by using FEM
- Identification of dynamic characteristics of externally pressurized air bearing with the variable film thickness diaphragm
- Active control of externally pressurized air bearing with the variable film thickness diaphragm
- Active control of air bearings
- A study on porous bearing
- Experimental study of dynamic coefficients of externally pressurized air bearing
- Stability improvement of externally pressurized air bearing by partial control of supply air pressure
- Study on performance improvement of non-circular externally pressurized air bearing
Based on the past 20 year's researches of air bearings, we have established our own air bearing design techniques.
back to research area
Copyright (c) 2002, Precision Machine Elements and Tribolology Laboratory.
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any problems related to the web-pages and any queries on the Lab. Activities.