A liquid bearing uses a liquid lubricant such as oil and water in order to reduce friction and wear between two surfaces in relative motion. Liquid bearings can be divided into hydrostatic bearings and hydrodynamic bearings. Hydrostatic bearings do lubricating action by using externally pressurized liquid lubricants from external suppliers. On the other hand, hydrodynamic bearings generate hydrodynamic pressure by a wedge action of bearing surfaces without external pressurizing devices.
In our laboratory, we have developed various numerical analysis tools for liquid bearings and made a lot of experiment devices in order to identify the characteristics of liquid bearings and enhance the performances.
Currently, we are interested in the following topics of liquid bearings.
¢º Study on noise of bearings
¢º Performance analysis of cryogenic hydrostatic journal bearing
¢º Identification of bearing performance with bubbly lubricants
Research until now :
- Experimental study on cavatition phenomena
- Numerical study on prediction of cavatation
- Study on turbulent lubrication of large bearing.
- EHL analysis of connecting rod bearing
- 3-dimensional analysis of thermohydrohynamic lubrication
- Identification ofesponse characteristics of hydrydynamic bearing
- EHL analysis of engine piston ring
- Lubrication analysis using ER fluid
- Experimental study on tilting pad bearing
- Analysis of turbulent THD lubrication
- Identification of tribological properties of large bearing for atomic power plant
- Experimental and theoretical study on pivoted thrust bearing
- Analysis of floating ring journal bearing
Base on both theoretical and experimental research results of past 20 years, we have established our own design technique of liquid bearing and attracted a lot of attention from the foreign developed countries.
back to research area
Copyright (c) 2002, Precision Machine Elements and Tribolology Laboratory.
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology.
Please contact email@example.com for any problems related to the web-pages and any queries on the Lab. Activities.